Friday, December 03, 2010

Reverb - Moment

Day Three Reverb10 Prompt: Moment. Pick one moment during which you felt most alive this year. Describe it in vivid detail (texture, smells, voices, noises, colors). (Author: Ali Edwards)

Just ONE?

I really did have a spectacular summer and have had some beautiful, amazing moments this year.

Visiting beautiful peaceful Savannah, Georgia, walking the streets, watching the people from all over the world, smelling coffee on one corner and seafood on the other.  Walking on the beach at nearby Tybee Island, feeling nothing other than complete presence and peace, watching the waves flow in and out, and even feeling the sun beating so hard on your skin, knowing you're getting sunburned.  Oh but forgetting the sunscreen and being beet red and in pain for days was so worth the moment of seeing my mom actually walk on the beach without falling and for miles even (when she can't walk more than a few hundred feet without tiring at home), and knowing the peacefulness it was bringing to her heart as well.



Sitting in my garden at the height of summer, curled up in my purple chair, colored twinkly lights above me, a glass of wine in one hand, knowing that the only moment I had was right then and there.  I didn't have to be a caregiver or a friend, I didn't have to even be ME, I could just melt into the starry sky and full moon above me, sing with my heart as I danced through the ethers, looking for my one true love, hearing his voice calling me home.  There was no time, no space, and life just flowed in perfection.



See, I can't just pick one, I have to continue.  I'm a rebel.

I also felt so alive when the journey was hard, as odd as that sounds.  The days when I was exhausted to the core and I could not focus on more than getting dressed and getting food in my body.  That's it.  Couldn't even wash my face or brush my teeth, the thought just tired me out.  I would just sit on the couch, try to breathe, and then the phone would ring.  A friendly gentle voice would ask how I was, the tears would start to fall (as they are now again), and I would hear loving words of support that one never really feels or understands until there is no sense of hope left.  And then life would move on to the next "thing."  It was feeling vulnerable and lost and hopeless, which in turn becomes light and grace to carry me through.

There was a party I threw last summer.  Invited my favorite friends, and we dined in the backyard and talked and laughed and laughed and laughed.  Of all the beautiful faces and conversations, great food, and laughing, my favorite moment was standing in the garden with a friend who was admiring the flowers in my garden.  Standing next to each other, having him ask what each one was, knowing there was higher "work" being done, the rest of the world disappeared.  Then again I was caught up in the joy of being hostess, and in the moments when I did sit in the circle of my peeps, I knew I was loved, and my heart filled to bursting.

Moments with Flora, Kai & Kaedon and the rest of my family, with friends, on the North Shore, travelling, participating in a friends wedding, making art, walking around the lakes, eating great food and desserts ....  life has swell moments, doesn't it?

2 comments:

  1. I love Savannah. My mom is from there. Such a beautiful, peaceful, magical place.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh it IS a beautiful magical place! I am so anxious to go back. :)

    ReplyDelete