Thursday, December 16, 2010

Reverb - Friendship

Today's Reverb10 Prompt: Friendship. How has a friend changed you or your perspective on the world this year? Was this change gradual, or a sudden burst?  (Author: Martha Mihalick)

My goodness these prompt for Reverb sure to get me thinking about the Divine Order of things!  Like so many prompts, this one is so timely and just nails one of the biggest aspects of my year.

I would have never predicted or hoped for what happened with my friendships this year.  And I no longer have any concern about being honest about it, since I need to speak my truth and honestly, I don't give a damn about what others might think any more. 

I lost a few friends this year.  Not by choice, by any means.  It was the unfortunate (but not really, now I see it as very fortunate) side effect of moving out of my office one year ago.  Things happened, things didn't happen, there really is no reason for details.  It was a slow descent that happened over time.  And while for many months I dearly missed those friends whom I'd come to know and feel were truly my soulsisters, they weren't meant to stay in my life.  They taught me a lot.  We had many amazing fun times.  It was all divine, of course.

Our parting wasn't easy, even though others claimed it was done in Love and we'd keep our friendship intact.  Luckily, by the grace of God, I grew from this shitty experience, as it forced me to really look at who I was, to know within myself that I am NOT the bad person they made me out to be, and to know they truly were mirrors for me in both light and dark.  I don't blame anyone, I don't see them as less than Divine, I accepted my responsibility in it all and did what I could to the best of my ability, and I truly hope that their lives become whole and rich and aligned with Love.

Within the muck and pain and confusion, however, came a tiny ray of hope.  An unlikely friendship formed.  An acquaintance from this group of friends and I decided to meet for coffee one day.  It was divinely timed and I was so surprised to find out she wasn't really what the others had made her out to be and what even I thought her to be.  There was big caution, of course, considering what I'd just experienced.  Slowly, I came to know this beautiful person who opened my eyes to many new things, and I call her Friend.  We're alike in so many ways, yet have differences.  And it works. 

We grew together over this past year, sharing our different though similar experiences.  We've both supported and encouraged each other through big transformations and shifts, we know how to be friends to each other, and it's a mutual respect for who we are.  I honestly do not know how I would have "recovered" from the past year without her friendship.  Others might not see it or understand the unlikely friendship.  But it is one of most rewarding and I will never be able to tell her how grateful I am for her presence in my life.  I am so so soooo blessed.

And my mom likes her.

No comments:

Post a Comment