Sunday, February 08, 2009

Tucson Gem Show Day Two

Ahhhh Tucson!! A decent first full day, despite COLD weather (45 to 55 degrees and rainy), however I am NOT complaining because I don't need a heavy coat in this weather. The rain and clouds are amazing to watch change over the desert and the mountains, though, and the snow on the top of the mountains makes them even more mysterious. Anyhow, we were a little slow getting going today so only made it to a few shows.


Here is the scoop about what the Tucson Gem Show actually is... it is the largest in the world, and has between 35 and 40 different shows, some are just beads, some are just very high end cut stones, diamonds, jewelry, etc, and some are just rocks or a mix of rocks, beads, and "trinkets". Each show itself can have anywhere from only 20 to a few hundred vendors, most are on the mid- to higher-end count of vendors. A show is usually at a hotel or convention center or something similar, and can be each vendor in a hotel room or in either an individual tent outside or a large tent to cover every vendor. I'll post more photo's of the overall views later when its not raining. Only about 20% of the vendors (or less) are actually metaphysical in nature. It really is a sight to behold, and I love seeing people from all over the world.

So today: The first show we went to (my mom and I, my "assistant buyer") was mainly jewelry, all the way from really low end to mid-high end, as well as beads and trinkets. BUT I did find some nice tumbled stones, including NATURAL african Citrine (non-heat treated), Morganite (both new to the Crystalline Light inventory), Smoky Quartz, Obsidian, Rose Quartz, and one other I can't think of right now.

And there were two of the most amazing amethyst geode's I have ever seen. 4 tons and 8 tons, respectively. :) Stunning.


I saw 2 sweet rose quartz Ganesh statue's too.

A bead show that I previously loved had only about 30 vendors instead of the usual 150, so was disappointed. Oh but we did find a really cool bead storage system that I liked.

Then we finally got to the AhhhMuse extravaganza, but only browsed for a few minutes and said Hi to Marilyn, Tohmas, and John Kirby. (And just happened to run into the guy that first introduced me to the Amethyst BioMat 2 years ago too.) A piece of Pollucite attached itself to me, so had to come home with me. Oh and I did scope out their new Shungite pyramids and sphere's, but will look around some more this week. And was very surprised to see they only had 2 big (4 feet?) lingams, no black ones. But still good to see them, and since Tohmas pointed out a sweet Quartz with Fuschite inclusions (rare!) to me I'll have to look again tomorrow or whenever I go back. Oh and ran into Scott from Maya Canyon (my lovely jewelry guy) in the hallway, am anxious to see what new stuff they have this year.

I've heard a few people say already that this show is not as well attended and some vendors are complaining. Rocks and jewelry are not immune from the economy, but it presents great options for me at the end of the week when vendors don't want to haul their stuff home. :)

OH but the COOLEST part of today is that just as we were driving back "home" it was clearing off in the west, so we saw the biggest brightest double rainbow!! I have been totally blessed by rainbows, as yesterday as my shuttle van left Phoenix I saw pastel rainbow colored clouds in the sky, and no other clouds were as such, and another wisp of clouds a little south were just plain ol' white. Hard to explain but had me completely enamored and befuddled. So here is a rainbow blessing for YOU!

2 comments:

  1. Amazing! Excited to hear more - I'm not above living vicariously...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing you are there spreading the wealth! Have fun.

    Can't wait...
    Your beady friend!

    ReplyDelete