Thursday, February 07, 2008

update

Okay, so someone emailed me saying they were reading the blog but they were totally confused about what Tucson actually IS.

The Tucson gem show is the biggest in the WORLD. Its 2 weeks long (some shows are shorter), and it consists of about 40+ "shows", where each show can range from just 10 vendors to 350 or 400 vendors. Most of them are at hotels where vendors set up in a hotel room (and they sometimes sleep there too) or in individual tents set up outside; some shows are strictly huge tents with vendors inside. The show are really a huge variety ... some are just beads, collector's stones/specimens, metaphysical fossils, pre-made gemstone jewelry and "high end" diamonds, etc used for the jewelry industry, bulk minerals and stones directly from miners from around the world who ship things here in huge barrels (on boats), etc. Not every show will have all of the above, but could be a mix. So there are a bunch of shows I have never been to and others I don't miss.

The majority of what I buy is in bulk, and I do indeed hand-pick everything energetically. I spend each day at 2 or 3 shows (or more) scoping out inventory, seeing what's hot and new, purchasing for my business. Its fascinating to look at everything (though as Kathy learned quickly you just have to scan and glance at rooms/tables, otherwise you'd be at one show for a whole day or longer!), but also to talk to people, to hear all the languages from around the world, to get ideas for my business, etc. And yes, the weather is great too. :) Tucson is a great city with great people, amazing views of the mountains and desert, but it does include more driving than I'm used to (there is only 1 north-south freeway on the western side of town, otherwise its all city streets, unlike home!). It takes more time to get around. Then I spend the evening eating at one of thousands of great restaraunts in Tucson (they have very few chains and are "known" for their amazing variety of restaraunts) and relaxing. Or as this week was, crashing by like 8 pm from exhaustion.

So I hope that helps explain! Its a blast for anyone interested in crystals, so it should be a bucket list item for people who like rocks and travelling. :)

Since I didn't have any energy each night this week as I'd hoped to get my online shop back up, I won't be getting new inventory on my NEW website until late next week or the following week. I hope to reopen my shop with at least basic stuff by Feb 22. Thanks for your patience!

No comments:

Post a Comment